Friday, June 15, 2018

Udta House (House flies)

Houseflies have come in. They have settled down all around the living room. They have dipped their mouths in tea. They have announced tea was good. I am happy we were of good service to them. I implore some of them to read the Times of India that's come in and lying forlorn on the center table. Even they refuse to read that rag. Understandable. I ask them if they would like to watch a movie or something on the television. They hum, fly around and generally have a laugh at my expense. "What's on TV these days?" They ask. I say "Transformers". They say, "It's copied from our lifestyle.". I didn't know that. They seem to know more. "Suryavansham?", I ask. They laugh very loudly. The neighborhood infant wakes up and starts crying at their humming laughs. Of course, I ditch the Suryavansham idea. Finally, I say. "Guys, please don't sit on my food, okay? You've arrived straight from the sewage treatment plant probably. I can only request. Anything else, you will tweet and someone will throw me out of a job or out of the country. So, please!" They hoot with laughter. They swarm around my head. They sing: Saj gayo Gori Teri Amma chunar gotey mein! I feel ineffective and useless. They own my apartment now.

No comments: