Thursday, May 24, 2018

Breaking door don't matter

Daya is sitting alongside me. Sullen. Angry. Wants to break a door. I have consoled him. Don't break a door. Break a leg. Now he is angry with me. "Kya hai, if I hit a door with my leg, door should break no? Why are you asking for my leg to break?" "Arre, no Daya. It's just an expression. Break a leg means enjoy life. Don't be sullen. Enjoy life, samjha!" "Oh, aisa. English is funny language. Bachchan theek hi bola tha." Yeah, we both nod, agree and be quiet. A little later I ask Daya as to why he is angry. He says, "petrol pricing". What's with petrol pricing, I ask? He says, "its gone up like never before. Rs. 84 now. Even in Bangladesh it is 58". I don't know about Bangladesh and so I listen quietly to his tirade. I say that even before my monthly budget for petrol was 5000 bucks. It will be the same even now. Daya laughs. "It's your loss na then. You will be roaming less. You will go to office by cycle perhaps." I am amazed that Daya can think so far and so clear. Like Akshay Kumar. I tell him that. Wow, he says, "Akshay and me anyway are so alike". Yes, you both break doors. You both answer to "Kuch toh gadbad hai". And you both don't know how to respond to this petrol price jump. Daya looks pleased now. I have changed the thought in his mind. Now he is thinking about Akshay. It's going to last a day. By the time something new will crop up in news and Daya will forget the petrol prices. On cue, we both receive notification. Some 9 guys shot dead in Tamil Nadu. At a factory called Vedanta. Daya is now asking me the meaning of Vedanta. What do I say?

No comments: