Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Dhoondho Dhoondho Rap!

I am trying to figure out how the hills around Kathmandu airport prevent ATC signals reaching the small aircrafts flying in and out. It caused a horrific accident yesterday killing at least 50 people in Bangladesh aircraft. Amazon Echo aka Alexa suddenly pipes up in the room all by itself and out comes "Dhoondho Dhoondho re Sajna" the Naushad song. It's not the original tune. It's a rap version. It's as if Sehwag and Babul Supriyo have come together and done something unidentifiable to the song. It's more Guyanese Bhojpuri Rap. Then it disappears. Alexa shuts itself down. I wait. I don't want to ask Alexa anything. Whatever I ask of her these days has only one answer, "I am not sure I know that". I know the world outside has difficulty deciphering me. Alexa is also giving up. So, I hold my counsel. I don't call out to her. But she's quiet. Then I realize what has happened. Missus has her phone. It's got Bluetooth. We are listening to some songs awhile back wherein she had transferred her playlist from her phone to the Amazon Echo via Bluetooth to listen to songs while she dressed up for the gym. Then she disconnected and left in a hurry. But Mohd Rafi hadn't completed his song, "Dhoondho Dhoondho re Sajna" and probably he was fighting with Alexa to let him complete his song in the background even after she left. So, Alexa gave permission. "Please finish fast, I have to shut down again". It's like those last encores in Calcutta restaurants from back in the 70s. One last Morricone please! Okay, only for a minute, then we have to pack and go men!! So, Rafi comes back, does the Dhoondho Dhoondho Rap and goes away within seconds. I being the sole listener. Alexa should be more considerate. The other day she laughed at someone. Someone who was prone to asking stupid questions. "Alexa, will you go out for a dinner with me?" Alexa wanted to say "Shakl dekhi apni!" But couldn't. She couldn't make up the English version of the effective Shakl sentence in time. So, she laughed hysterically. The word went out that Alexa had laughed hysterically. Everyone went into a tizzy. Amazon got many tweets saying "Ban Alexa!" How dare that lady laugh at us. Amazon bechara napalmed it's Artificial intelligence section and set right the bugs. Alexa will no more laugh hysterically at stupid men. Men are safe. What safe? So many women are still laughing. They just cover their face with their hands or their hair. Or just turn around and look elsewhere. Eyes rolling constantly. Only Alexa was left. Woh bhi gayi.

No comments: